Search This Blog

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Loving the Masters of Music (Classical)

Who remembers their first ever concert? Was it rock? Pop? Country?

Mine was classical, and it cemented my love for these ageless masterpieces.

From the time I was very young, my father raised my brother and I to listen to and appreciate classical music. Only one of us got the message (me) ha ha. I can recall countless hours in the car hearing Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovitch, and many others of the masters of timeless music.

My mother too, had a love of older tunes and introduced me to big band and swing music as well. My brother introduced me to rock n roll and classic rock, but that's another post. LOL

As for the concert; I was 18 years old and just out of high school. I remember I had to borrow one of my mother's nice dresses (not a dresser-upper) so I could attend the symphony with my father. It was wonderful! I wish I could remember the program that was played, but I just recall being there with my dad and soaking up the wondrous sights and sounds of Powell Hall. Anyone who's ever been can attest to it's beauty and wonder. At Christmastime, it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

To this day I get a funny look when I ask for classical tunes during an MRI or an impressed nod when I mention anything about Mozart or Beethoven.  What thrills me most is my nephew is also versed in the classics and the three of us chat about our favorites. :)

Even my fiance is open to learning about the masters; I want to introduce 'Master of the Month" here at home, but may do so on here as well.

Who is your favorite or have you ever given classical a chance?  If not, I invite you to such a splendid world of sound and delight.  Who knows, you might just like it.








No comments:

Post a Comment